Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A year of critiquing and other happenings

Wow, it's been way too long since I've blogged. I know it seems like people often remark in their blogs about how they haven't blogged much.

With that said, I haven't had much to blog about. Since my last entry I received a no from one agent concerning my latest picture book manuscript. I still am awaiting a response from a publisher and agent about the same manuscript.

I also had a really great May meeting of my local writing group. We did a few writing prompts. And despite my best efforts to chalk up any writing done on the spot at this meeting, I actually wrote something that soon after turned into a new full picture book manuscript.

I also have recently spent a couple 1/2 periods in a 2nd grade classroom across the hall in the school I work at. I went in to do some reading of my stories after being referred by a friend of mine in my critique group. You see his daughter is in that class and so kindly did some free PR work for me and then I volunteered/was invited to also read in that same classroom. So today I went in for the 2nd Tuesday in a row.

The first time I went into the 2nd grade classroom I talked about my process of writing, the writing industry, where I get my ideas from, etc. as well as reading one of my stories. Today I read two of my stories including the one that came from the writing prompt at May's meeting of my local writing group.

One last bit of news. On May 20th two exciting things happened. But I'll save the best for last. First of all my critique group went out for dinner to celebrate our 1 year anniversary of meeting as a critique group (our first meeting was on May 21, 2009). We followed up dinner with our usual critique meeting.

The second bit of exciting news is my niece was born that night! Katherine Elizabeth Russell was born around 8:30 and weighed 6 pounds 1 ounce and measured 18 1/2 inches and has a full head of dark hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment